Thursday, June 15

Wool dyeing from clothing scraps~


Something blue from something old!
Something old~ can become something blue?
Giggle...
I had a few 5" x 5" pieces of navy blue wool suit coat.
I put them in a stockpot to boil & felt for rug hooking.
The secondary dye that bled off made all of these blues!


There was a lot of blue dye remaining. I put a piece of black & white
houndstooth type plaid in the stock pot to pick it up~


It hooks into such a beautiful texture!


The palette of wool that I came up with last week~
I wanted to come up with some muted plum tones for my
'I Love You to the Moon and Back' design.


I t would be fun to bring all of my punch needle patterns to
wool hooked rugs~


I cut some of my pattern colors in advance~
I like to have projects bagged and ready to go for when I have
a  little bit of time to relax.


When I have a good amount of plaid, pattern etc. I like to 
add them to my swatch chart. It helps me when planning a rug.
I like to add texture without having to change colors.

Hope you're having a great day, Friends~
Thank you for stopping by!

3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Looks like you are going to be very busy making those rugs. Very interesting about dyeing the wool. Have a great weekend.

Createology said...

Your wool process is quite interesting and it is amazing what residual colors remain in your stockpot to produce additional wool colors. Your designs and finished projects are amazing! <3

Michelle Palmer said...

Thank you, Friends! I am always amazed at how much dye remains in wool even after normal laundering. After seeing the blue from the small suit coat pieces~ I'm not sure how it didn't turn every shirt beneath it blue when worn. :)
Hope you have a wonderful weekend, Friends!