Thursday, January 7

Quilting... Vintage Patterns...

700 Olde Time Needlecraft
Designs & Patterns

Copyright House of White Birches, Inc. 1970

Many of my watercolor designs have been
made into the sweetest fabrics...
I have bins of samples!

Both of my sisters quilt and sew...

I love fabric...

I don't sew.



But when I find an AMAZING book like this
it becomes one of the best references I have.

I incorporate quilt patterns into many of my paintings.
(I'll show you some of my Birds & Stitches program next)


This book is from 1970
52 pages filled with similar, detailed images


I just wanted to share a peek in case you
ever see one listed on Ebay, etc.
I think it is worth it to try a little searching.


There are pages with complete directions
on how to make tatted trims, crocheted trims...
doily directions... crocheted edgings and
serviceable patterns...
embroidery...
applique...






Below are several vintage fabric/quilt pieces
that I just received as a gift from my cousins in Arizona!
Pretty sure she said they were from old flour sacks?
I'll double check on that...


...pretty little pieces
oh the owl & bird projects running through my mind!
They will require some hand stitching...
It will be worth it!



I just love the acorn pattern...




Happy stitching!

7 comments:

Acornmoon said...

That is a book to look out for, what lovely fabric squares you have, the acorn design is wonderful!

HAWTHORN HALL said...

What a treasure that book is to own. I love quilting and having a antique book of patterns is so special. The quilting squares are lovely!

Gillian

Anonymous said...

Great treasures, Michelle! My friend is going to SEW? Yay!!!

Hugs! Diane

kristin said...

such treasures!! and i'm swooning over all that gorgeous fabric!

Marthann's Musings said...

What a treasure to find. I love all the patterns, and the fabric is great. Have fun creating.

Debra said...

Hi Michelle,
That does look like a wonderful old book. I also collect them-inspiration can come from very unlikely places for a painting or doll...
Loved the goose painting-all your art is wonderful.
Love, Debra

HMCraig said...

That's a wonderfully inspirational book! There is something extremely comforting about quilts and their squares. I think it's the straightforward geometry balanced out with the infinite possibilities of color and pattern.